Friday, December 14, 2007

These days in an open book

Open book
Even in the academy, the books we write aren't the only chronicles of our lives. Herewith Nanci Griffith's variation on this theme:

Nanci Griffith, "These Days in an Open Book," on Flyer (1994)
Nanci Griffith

Shut it down and call this road a day
And put this silence in my heart in a better place
I have traveled with your ghost now so many years
That I see you in the shadows
In hotel rooms and headlights
You're coming up beside me
Whether it's day or night

Chorus:
These days my life is an open book
Missing pages I cannot seem to find
These days your face
In my memory
Is in a folded hand of grace against these times

No one's ever come between your memory and me
I have driven this weary vessel here alone
Will you still find me if I leave you here beside this road
Because I need someone who can touch me
Who'll put no one above me
Someone who needs me
Like the air he breathes

Repeat chorus

I can't remember where this toll road goes
Maybe it's Fort Worth, maybe it's a heart of gold
The price of love is such a heavy toll
That I've lived my life in the backroads
With your love in my pocket
If I spend the love you gave me
Tell me where will it go?

Repeat chorus

These days your face
In my memory
Is in a folded hand of grace
Folded hand of grace
Folded hand of grace
Against these times

2 Comments:

Blogger Dean C. Rowan said...

A lovely tune. Some might prefer the live version on Dust Bowl Symphony.

12/16/2007 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a love song...I love it....Keep it up ...the good job...Praise Jehoveh God for your wonderful gift...

1/17/2008 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web Jurisdynamics