- Without awaiting a request from the governor, the president can "provide accelerated Federal assistance and Federal support where necessary to save lives, prevent human suffering, or mitigate severe damage."
- FEMA is supposed to devise a "National Disaster Recovery Strategy" (sec. 682) and a National Disaster Housing Strategy (sec. 683).
- Discrimination in providing disaster relief on the basis of age or English proficiency is forbidden.
- A couple of pilot programs are established dealing with temporary housing and public assistance.
- New provisions are made for reunifying families.
Overall, the statute seems to me to call for a lot of strategies and new organizational entities. The big question is whether these things will come to pass in a meaningful way.