Thursday, February 14, 2008

Synesthesia

Vision

Carol Steen, Vision (1996). Oil on paper, 15 x 12-3/4 inches.
One day, many years ago, I was having an acupuncture treatment and was lying flat on my back, on a futon, stuck full of needles. My eyes were shut and I watched intently, as I always do, hoping to see something magical, which does not always occur. Sometimes what I see is just not interesting or beautiful. Lying there, I watched the soft, undulating, black background I always see when I shut my eyes become pierced by a bright red colour that began to form in the middle of the rich velvet blackness. The red began as a small dot of intense colour and grew quite large rather quickly, chasing much of the blackness away. I saw green shapes appear in the midst of the red color and move around the red and black fields. This is the first vision that I painted exactly as I saw it . . . .
— Artist Carol Steen, recalling the experience that led to the creation of Vision

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web Jurisdynamics