Thursday, September 07, 2006

Remember Pat Tillman

The cover of the September 11 issue of Sports Illustrated asks us to remember Pat Tillman. Jurisdynamics certainly does. Tillman had a $3.6 million contract to play safety for the Arizona Cardinals in 2001. After September 11 he left professional football for the U.S. Army. In April 2004 he was killed in Afghanistan.

Pat Tillman went to war, not out of legal compulsion, but out of love of country and a profound sense of duty. For this choice, he paid with his life. The least that can be asked of those among us who draw so much pleasure from football is to pause, if only for a moment, and remember him.

And so we do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tillman is truly a hero for giving up so much to defend us against terrorism.

however, my memory of him is severely tarnished. i honestly feel sick to my stomach that the pentagon lied to his brother about his death in order to use him as a poster boy for the war in iraq - a war he opposed.

our small politics dishonored this awesome united states citizen.

9/07/2006 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why Mr. Tillman is such a central figure amongst those who have died. Is it because he gave up the chance to make more money than I will see in my lifetime? Is it because he was so talented? What makes him different than the other heros who have left us behind? Should we focus on those who sacrifice in the face of success, rather than those who choose the service with different motives--e.g. as employment? Should we honor one more than the other? When I watched the memorial service, I asked the same question--why do I feel compelled to watch this, but yet I tolerate the "casualties of war" section on the 5th or 7th or 9th page of the paper each day? Some days I don't read it, and I am ashamed of myself for it. Even if the world is too big to pay attention to everyone's good work, can't we at least pay attention to those who give their lives to us. So add just a bit more to SI's effort. Remember Tillman's name, or not, but remember that he and others die every day for us. And do your best to figure out who has made that sacrifice (because, too often, it is not on the cover our diversions).

9/07/2006 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web Jurisdynamics