Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sunrise with Sylvia Plath and Norah Jones


Sunrise
Sylvia Plath, Southern Sunrise (1956)

Color of lemon, mango, peach,
These storybook villas
Still dream behind
Shutters, their balconies
Fine as hand-
Made lace, or a leaf-and-flower pen-sketch.

Tilting with the winds,
On arrowy stems,
Pineapple-barked,
A green crescent of palms
Sends up its forked
Firework of fronds.

A quartz-clear dawn
Inch by bright inch
Gilds all our Avenue,
And out of the blue drench
Of Angels' Bay
Rises the round red watermelon sun.



Norah Jones, Sunrise, on Feels Like Home (2004)


Sunrise, sunrise
Looks like morning in your eyes
But the clock's held 9:15 for hours
Sunrise, sunrise
Couldn't tempt us if it tried
'Cause the afternoon's already come and gone

And I said hoo . . .
To you

Surprise, surprise
Couldn't find it in your eyes
But I'm sure it's written all over my face
Surprise, surprise
Never something I could hide
When I see we made it through another day

Norah JonesAnd I said hoo . . .
To you

Now good night
Throw its cover down
On me again
Ooh and if I'm right
It's the only way
To bring me back

Hoo . . .
To you
Hoo . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web Jurisdynamics